be strong, like bull
be strong, like bull and fight off the cold season
your immunity-boosting guide
the common cold
it’s that time of year again, missed time at work or school, events, and time out with friends.
did you know it is estimated that between 5 and 20 percent of americans will fall victim to some form of flu-like symptoms this year?
have no fear, because we are here to give you ways to reduce your risk of being sick and enjoying your winter season!
please pass the tissue!
the common cold is the leading reason for visiting a doctor or missing work/school. so please cover up when you sneeze or cough!
- more than 200 different viruses can cause colds
get a boost with eating
sugar can suppress your immune system cells and with as a little as 24oz of soda, you’re white blood cells lose their ability to destroy bacteria
- replace your sugary drinks with: natural fruit juices, tea, and water
Try these foods on for size: they provide added immune system boots, vitamins and antioxidants, remove bad bacteria and toxins, as well as balancing adrenals, hormones, and brain function!
- mushrooms: in all varieties, they will boost the immune system and are rich in antioxidants
- oregano oil: not only can it eliminate bad bacteria in the digestive system, only 200mg 3 times a day can cleanse the gut
- cruciferous vegetables: like broccoli, kale, cabbage, and chard can boost your liver’s ability to flush out toxins
- garlic: raw garlic is antibacterial, antiviral, immune boosting, and rich in antioxidants
- avocado: this healthy fat contains amino acids, antioxidants and helps to balance hormones and adrenals plus support your immune system
- spirulina: it’s a blue-green algae superfood that stimulates immune functions, contains anti-cancerous properties, boosts your brains performance AND is full of iron and selenium. DANG!
- oats: this fiber friendly grain can help reduce LDL (bad cholesterol)
sprinkle in the vitamins
taking vitamins such as A, B6, C, D, and Zinc can greatly reduce your risk of falling ill. it can also help with specific vitamin deficiencies. this can be done through supplementation or even through food
- Vitamin A
- helps with impaired immunity, increased risk of infectious disease
- found in: beef, chicken liver, eggs, fish oils, dairy, dark leafy greens, orange/yellow vegetables, squash, cantaloupe, apricots, peaches, and mangos
- Vitamin B6
- this deficiency can depress aspects of the immune response
- found in: chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon, shrimp, beef liver, dairy, lentils, beans, spinach, brown rice, sunflower seeds. wheat germ, and whole-grain flour
- helps boost your immune system!
- found in: red meat, chicken, fish, eggs, legumes, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
change your habits
Stress less, exercise more, sleep in, and spend time laughing with friends and family. with proper nutrition and physical activity you can stretch, lift, and laugh your way through this cold season
- less stress
- try taking deep breaths and medicating, you know, like YOGA!
- chromic stress increases your risk of illness, cold, and serious diseases
- stress hormones suppress the immune system
- exercise more
- try moving around for 30 minutes a day, this is help stimulate the lymphatic system ( the “sewer system” of the body)
- it also increases you level of leukocytes in the body, these babies help the immune system fight off infections
- sleep in
- get 7-9 hours a day, if not insomnia can increase inflammation and cortisol causing stress on your body
- laugh your way through cold season with friends and family
- did you know laughing decreases the number of stress hormones in the body and can increase a type of white blood cell that helps to fight infections?
check out these easy to follow home remedy recipes when you’re feeling under the weather
who’s ready to beat the sniffles this year?
by making these few changes to your lifestyle daily you can significantly decrease your risk of getting sick this winter
come in and take one of our relaxing yoga classes or sweat it out with one of our small group training classes today!